Sunday, June 1, 2008

ONWARD TO HYRULE!

I finally got my hands on the much awaited Zelda game for the Wii. Sadly, the only Zelda game I have ever beaten is Link’s Awakening, and even then I used save states. I had gotten decently far into Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, and A Link to the Past, but I always lost the motivation after getting that far. So even though I hadn’t beaten the past games, the Twilight Princess called to me. Since the only game I had on the Wii was Brawl, I finally went out and bought Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy.

The graphics were very nice. I was somewhat worried that the realistic graphics would detract from the more cartoonish type feel of Zelda, but it really helped set the mood for the story. The tone of this game seems much darker than the previous games. All of Hyrule has been taken over by the King of Twilight and Princess Zelda has been taken hostage. As Link, you eventually discover your destiny to combat the forces of the Twilight and rid Hyrule from evil. The music also fits to the tone very well. The ever famous Zelda themes are remixed to a more rustic feel.

The Wii controls are hard to get used to, and I feel like they react slow too. Oftentimes I am hit by a monster because I’m still trying to pull out my sword. I also end up wasting a lot of ammunition because I accidentally shoot off my ranged weapons, so there is somewhat of a learning curve for the controls. As for the puzzles, they seem to be a lot easier than in the past games, but I have only done the first two dungeons. Though, embarrassingly, I must admit, I did get stuck within the first five minutes. My fishing skills are terrible.

Everything I’ve played so far has been solid, and the difficulty level seems just right for more casual players. I hope that I can keep up with this game and finally finish a Zelda game legit.

No comments: