Monday, May 26, 2008

Snake!!! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Metal Gear Solid 2 was the first game of the series I played, and, while interesting, I got bored pretty quickly. There was a ton of dialogue and there were only two areas. The storyline did get interesting around the end with the US government conspiracy theory. I decided to give the third game a try to continue the story. To my dismay, the third game is actually a prequel to the other games. Upon finally starting actual gameplay, I immediately did not like it, mostly because it was a lot more difficult than the last game. Enemies are a lot harder to see because you are in the dense forest. This aspect though shows how good the game artwork really is. You really feel immersed in the woods. When I landed, I was already completely lost. However, graphics of this level can only be expected of a Metal Gear Solid title. Also, survival was taken to another level in this game. You also have to hunt for food, which really helps you to realize how dire your situation is. The programmers have also learned from their past mistakes and have improved the camera angles.

The storyline sounds really interesting. It involves a conspiracy theory surrounding the Cold War including the Cuban Missile Crisis. I didn’t get too far into the game. I kept getting gunned down around a bridge. The music definitely adds to the Metal Gear Solid atmosphere (at least the music I was able to experience. The same Snake voice actor returns, and the other voice acting doesn’t make me want to bang my head against a wall.

I hope to finally be able to muster up the time to beat this game. The storylines are very involved and extremely interesting. One thing I may want to do before playing this game is play the first game.

No comments: