Monday, May 26, 2008

BRAWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Wow, I’ve been waiting for this game for so long. I’m a big fan of Smash Melee, so I was psyched about Brawl. The graphics of this game are good. They aren’t the best of the generation, but they really show what the Wii is capable of. They are a solid improvement on its predecessor. Stages are extremely well detailed to the point where it distracts many players from the actual fighting. The styles of the menus are also crisp and bright, really adding to the light hearted tone of the game.

The music selection is not only great, but enormous. There is way over 250 songs in the soundtrack. Levels have anywhere between five to ten tracks that can be played. I was skeptical about some of the song selections (mostly slower songs that really don’t add intensity); however the tracks really do work well with the game. The main theme, composed by my favorite game music composer Nobuo Uematsu, is really deep for the lighter Smash atmosphere conveyed in the last two games.

The storyline of the Subspace Emissary is kind of simple, but it’s told in unique way. None of the characters actually speak. Their emotions are revealed through their actions and the storyline is progressed through cutscenes. This also made certain parts of the storyline confusing, since nothing was really explained to the player. There were a couple parts of the game that I thought were cheesy. They tried to make many parts of the story serious, but it was really hard to take these parts seriously with pink Kirby and yellow Pikachu in the ranks of heroes.

As for voice acting, I’m glad they kept Marth in Japanese, but most of the other voice actors make me want to bust a gut because of how poor they are done. Pit and Ike make me cringe when the taunt and pose in victory, but I guess there really much I can do about that.

Despite what people say, I believe this game is excellent with a lot of depth in its gameplay. I prefer to consider Melee and Brawl as two different games due to so many differences between the two games.

No comments: